Sugar and Sultana

I remember being somewhere between 4 and 6 at a family event (Christmas?) at my grandparents, Boronia. This house with brown patterened carpet not dissimilar to our own in Box Hill, dark cupboards with glass windows in the living room. I'm sitting in the corner of the room, under a standing lamp, eating a cupcake. My cousins are nearby. This cupcake is the stand out here. It's buttery and is full of little sultanas, with a plain white icing (I'm sure it's just sugar and water) Grandma's. She used to make them for us, the adults had her mince pies.

Often they're on my mind. I've asked for the recipe but it was probably stored just in her head, and it's unlikely i'll ever hear it. Tonight I found an Edmonds recipe, I even iced some. Coming out of the oven, the smell hit me; the sultanas add this smell that is just so unique to these cakes. I couldn't wait after icing them. They were so good I nearly cried. 

I've been meaning to make a record of the silly little memories we all hold dear. I have a notebook, but it is hard to maintain when you have an idea at work and it's tucked in a shelf at home. This might be a little easier, and I'm naming it after this sweet memory.

Lets see!

Comments

Popular Posts